Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Saturday Is a Special Day

First off- today marks one year ago we found out we were pregnant. Only Bek and my husband really will know the truth how I handled it. But more importantly only I and Lord will ever know how very much I love my Baby Ben and am SO glad he was given to us! =)
So not too long ago Amanda gave me a heads up about hair loss post pardon. How did I react? I doubled-up on prenatal and thought, "Wah haha I'll beat THAT!" A month and a half later now, I have thin hair again. LOL
So months and months ago Tom and I were meticulously crib shopping. I mean we looked and looked for the best buy, best quality, best! Not because we are snobs- I promise but because we simply came to the conclusion we wanted to buy ONE bed for our kids that they will sleep in from birth to adult instead of us buying a crib, toddler bed, twin, full... THUS if a bed is going to withstand all those years it HAS to built solid! Ya know? At the same time, Ben's personal Santa Claus offered to purchase whatever crib we picked out. I mean AGAIN it was a miracle and blessed year for us.
After talking to Morgan, those many moons ago, she led us to the brand Munire. I went to the website, clicked around and saw Ben's crib! I emailed Tom with the message "THIS IS IT!" He looked at it and replied, "YES!"
Fast forward. We ordered it. It was on back order. Over a month later it came in but it was the wrong one. We re-ordered the crib. It was also on back order. Over a month later it came in and that was this last Saturday.
Now, I need to back-tract for a moment. We live in Oregon. It's super damp and wet and thus a non-friendly visitor of the name MOLD lives with us. We've lived in this apartment almost our entire marriage and its a nice, quiet place and the apartment itself is cute and fine. But this last fall brought even more mold than ever PLUS a horrible, dank smell was going on in our bedroom at the same time. I was finding mold growing on my furniture, my NICE bedroom set and I was freakin out. SOOOOoo when the crib came in I was like WE ARE NOT putting a $700 crib in a room where there is funk going on without zapping the problem FIRST!
Tom and I DID figure out the problem (don-don-don-donnn). Long story short, due to there being stuff under our bed there was no air flow and thus moisture was trapped. Long story long. We disassembled our bed COMPLETELY and wiped it down several times with a couple different brain-cell-killing cleaners. There was mold ALL over the rails and boards that hold up the box-springs, behind the head-board, foot-boards, etc. But Tom and I being the people we are kinda TOTALLY enjoyed the full cleaning! Its sooo what's the word....therapeutic! I wiped down the bedroom walls, re-cleaned the windows (it happens umpteen times a week) and vacuumed, vacuumed, vacuumed! I'm sure if we had the extra cash we would have rented I carpet cleaner too. But I have to say after a few hours the smell was GONE! And because the "stuff" under the bed was the crib mattress, and another re-called crib given to us but we never used cause...its recalled- under the bed is clear!!! (growing up I never had things under the bed, I felt it was a sign on something subconscious if/when people did! lol)
Tom put together the crib immediately. Along with both of us doing tons of laundry ALL day. I'm talking like 10 loads+ during the weekend, washing every sheet, blanket, bed quilt, pillow, everything that was in the room that could go into the washer.

I think the only hic-up with the crib was the stain. We were hoping that it would have turned out closer to a dark cherry but its a medium cherry. But I mean pleaseeee its still great! I think the thing we love most about it. Is it's a SOLID, wuality piece of furniture! =) The lady at the store we ordered it from said Munire is the Cadillac of cribs!
And this is Ben a couple hours ago!
Thee End (for now)

5 comments:

  1. Oh! It's so much like mine! I love it, it's beautiful and it makes me smile to hear that it's the "Cadillac" of cribs. I love your bedding too - super cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My mom made all of it, sewing as fast as she could after Ben turned out to be a he!

      Delete
  2. THanks for sharing pics! I love the crib and bedding. I also love how you and Tom are such cleaners. Remember that time you two scrubbed our RiverRoad house from top to bottom? Awww... feel like watching Denise for us again (wink wink)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what's funny about that? Okay is was a lot of work and Tom and I really liked it, call us sick, I know but the thing that drove me CRAZY was that freakin kitchen floor I SWEAR to gosh between the two of us we scrubbed and scrubbed and steamed and steamed and it NEVER looked clean. And it was NOTTTTT YOU!!! I will go to my grave saying "semi or high gloss finishhhhhh" lol Plus- please I watched you personally scrub it on your hands and knees during SEVERAL of my crying visits and I know you felt the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad I got to meet this little guy and catch up with you and Tom!

    ReplyDelete