Monday, July 11, 2011

Job loss, Anniversary, and Baby planning

Gosh...where to begin? So you know that phrase, "When it rains, its pours"? Well I wouldn't say its pouring (fingers crossed, knocking on wood) heck I wouldn't really say its even raining AND IN FACT me being such a lover of rain, cloudy, moody weather- I reSENT, that's right RESENT "cloudy, cold, moody weather" as in analgy for tough times! (Arms crossed and eyebrows raised!)

How would I compare tough times in a weather description? hmm Icy roads! Cause you feel like you have zero control no matter how expensive, awesome your 4-wheel drive is or salted the roads, when its slick, you're stuck! There, now let the NEW expression run like wild-fire! wahh hahaha

Okay so Tom lost his job June 27th- that sucked/sucks! And in my view the worse part is he really enjoyed his job. I think if he didn't like it so much it wouldn't have been such a bummer but what can ya do?

When it all went down I couldn't help but think of a line from "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" when a professor asked a group of MBA students, "What is risk?" The first person answered, "Being an entrepreneur!" And a second person answered, "Having only one source of income." I really liked that clear picture that with losing one resource can be absoluely detrimental while having multiple can be relieving. I liked the example the book used again to show this- the difference between a person who works for themselves as a yawn care person who when they lose one client its no biggy cause they have others lined up as apposed to a professional working for someone else. YES, a professional can, in theory, bring in much more income than say a yawn care person but that isn't quite the point nor is it always accurate. (You'll have to read the book or listen to it on cd to fully understand!) Anyway, my point is that when Tom told me he was fired I immediately thought of that line and felt comfortable that we still had two more income sources! And I've heard that there are men on craigslist who think pregnant women are sexy so there is a possiblity of 3 incomes! jk GROSS! Eww

I am again thankful for our budget! Its so...what's the word....rewarding. Dave Ramsey uses the phrase, "Telling your money what to do!" Its funny how true it is how much money you find you actually bring in when you know where every dime goes! Now I wish we brought in twice as much JUST to be getting Sallie Mae out of our lives that much quicker BUT it is still beneficial knowing we are cutting it out even one chunk at a time.

I'm huge. Its not even up for debate- its a fact; its real and its only spreading like the national debt! I took a couple pictures yesterday but will post them on FB on Wednesday.

On a funny note- last night, I must have been dreaming- I thought I saw a spider crawling along the "segretation pillow" (the body pillow Bek gave me- Tom came up with the name!) Anyway, I remember being a bit freaked-out and saying out loud- "Tom there's a big spider!" and then proceeded to lay directly on top of him and then fell back asleep. Tom never budged and when I asked him this morning if he remembered that- he had no memory whatsoever- even having the elephant wife laying on top of him for a good half hour! Looking back I'm pretty sure the "spider" was just in my dreams cause I think its body was a domino.....lol

Tom has a job interview today and another with Apple on Saturday and though I don't have any preferences where he works or even what the hours are- I mainly want him to be gamefully employeed where he is HAPPY!

OH Sunday is our 1st anniversary! Can you guys believe it? Cause I sure can't, seriously, its gone by SOOO fast!!!! Its been a great year! AHHHhhh I wish, SUPER wish we all lived close by and our husbands were friends too! Or at least that you ladies could meet my Tom! He's the complete opposite of immature, irresponsible, and insensative. Instead, "he's everything a man ought to be!" -Pride and Prejudice.

Tom pointed out a few days ago we have been pregnant and married longer than married and not pregnant- I was kinda bummed by that realization cause well- it just reminded me how my/our plans just didnt happen the way I/we wanted them. And though I've said this before, I feel like I've come to an even deeper conclusion that I don't know that I would have ever really wanted to have kids. Yes, yes I probably would have wanted to be pregnant- as my old self saw it as easy and even fun, "I'll be cute, and it will be no big deal!" Ahhh what a humbling adventure it has been! lol

I've been reading up on birthing and the different stages and the recommendations for coping with them, along with how Tom can be helpful and involved. During the 4th of July weekend my mom read her journal to us on her giving birth to me- in labor for ...3 days(?) And because she had back labor with all us the ways lamaz and different birthing techniques have it totally wrong (like- how when you have back labor the worse possible position to be in is on your back, in stir-ups- that's its a convenence for the doctor and totally not for you!) Hearing stuff like that made me kinda grumpy and resentful of doctors...  My mom had a midwife and doctor for my birth and Brian's and she still says it was the best experience by far! Everything my great friend- Ashley says (who's been studying Dulah) my mom said she also learned when she was pregnant! So it makes me happy those techniques/traditions aren't just trendy, hippy unsense. NOT that I ever really thought most of it was! Just sayin!

As of now what's my "birth plan"? TO GET THROUGH IT! I'm ABSOLUTELY NOT ruling out anything! Everything I've read and heard from women who have lived and birthed WAY more than me all say the same thing- each labor was unique and presented different complications. Thus, I can hope I will be good without meds/surgery/etc but I don't really know! I know I trust my doctor and I can do what I can to prepare and know that just like I had opinions/plans about WHEN I wanted to think about getting pregnant, how morning sickness is for weak women, and its arrogant to want to have a baby without drugs, I simply just don't know until I'm THERE! So- my conclusion? I'll do what I can and LISTEN to the advice of women who have gone through it and not get stuck on my prejudices!

Lastly, my mom made a BEAUTIFUL girl quilt for our baby! She's been hand sewing (GROSS) for months now and I think is actually gonna submit it into the Oregon State Fair! Its so darling. I hope its a girl just for the quilt! lol And mom is pretty darn convinced we're having a girl and feels its a waste of time to make anything boy. haha I'm not saying she's wrong cause I can't prove either way. She has suggested that I have the ability to find out what I'm having through prayer- which I completely agree with- however, I have come to really love the idea that in all my generations abilities and advancements- its pretty fun to have a connection to alllllllll ancestors whom never knew their sex of their kids until that moment of explosion and the words, "It's a GIRL" or "It's a BOY!" I'm eating it up! I relaly am excited to learn and find out in that moment! =)

Also, Tom and I have been very blessed by the sweetness of others! We have been given a play pin which is in great shape (boy colors but I don't care), we have a swing from my sister-in-law, and we have a crib coming, I think its brand new(?) What it looks like? I have no clue- its free and we're grateful! Oh and I think Tom's sister is sending a car seat her car seat that's super nice or something! Though, I don't want the obligation of needing to keep things in good shape to give back- you JUST don't know- no matter how anal or clean you are, crap happens, literally! So I might just do what I can to get one ourselves....

Okay that's about it from here! Sure love and miss all of you!
XOXO

1 comment:

  1. Jess: love you. You can seriously have Tom call Joe about the NG. And we also were in the same boat as you with having a baby right off the bat. In fact, Dottie was born BEFORE our first anniversary. Yeah, talk about unromantic. I was all fat after just having a baby, and doing you-know-what was out of the question because Dottie was only 2 weeks old.

    ReplyDelete