Thursday, June 7, 2012

When in Doubt, Color Your Hair

Fact I: the first time I EVER colored my hair was on my 14th birthday. I spent the next 8 years coloring so often I had really no idea what my "real color" was until I quit the winter of '04 when I shortly after found out I had (for the most part) been coloring my hair pretty darn close to its natural color. haha HOWEVER, my natural color is mousy-brown with blond and red high-lights.

Fact II: I've never owned a blow-dryer, or hair spray. Only when my mom bought a second curling iron did I ask to have the old one. I used that one maybe twice all together last year. Reasoning? I hate the smell of "cooked hair" and I hate the look of "cooked hair" on anyone. I just don't understand it? Like, spend so much time drying, straightening or curling- all that work everyday or however often JUST to ruin your hair, leaving the ends broken, lighter color than the rest???? It's gross. What I DO own is 2 different leave-in moisturizers and a leave-in frizz stuff.

Story: On Sunday I put mouse in my hair for the first time in EVER I put it in in an attempt to control my frizz and maybe help define my curls since my hair is not quite straight not quite curly. Mouse didn't work I came home from church looking like I had come straight from "bedroom hair"...what must my ward think? -For the most part I go with wet hair lol
Anyway, Sunday I had all this waxy weird ick on the top of my head and I just assumed it was from the mouse since it wasn't there before. Next day, more wax even after shampooing, then the next and the next.....It was GROSS. So last night I had had enough of looking like I was a grease-monkey and when Tom got home I drove to McDonalds and sat out side sucking in their WiFi to google about this issue.

Findings: Lots of chicks writing about it, most with the exact same story- perfect healthy hair, hardly use/never use hair-dryers, etc who all of a sudden got a waxy/greasy issue on the crown of their heads. Mostly its caused from build-up from shampoo-conditioners. I usually change up my shampoo/conditioner ever 6-8weeks but I think I was really liking the cheap but nice Suave so that's where I went wrong.

Solution: Apple-Cidar Vinegar. Wash your hair with it. This morning I tried it. I used more than half the bottle (some even flicked into my eyes- only cool) than I didn't add conditioner to my roots, just ends.

Results: It worked about 85%. It's amazing how difficult it is to get that waxiness out people! It's kinda like if you got candle wax in your hair. GRRROOOSSS

What's next: I decided last night that IF the vinegar didn't work I was just gonna color my hair (since my latest color is a bit too dark from my own color causing my roots to appear even MORE mousy). I really wanted to take a coloring pause since I didn't care enough more if my grays started showing but my thinking is coloring has to strip the wax out, right? In fact, I have a theory about coloring!!!

Theory: If and when my kids ever get the dreaded LICE I'm coloring their head with ammonia! That lice shampoo is as effective as hoping for a wish to come true by throwing coins in a fountaine. I THINK ammonia would kill them- I'll ammonia/color their color their natural color and hope for the best which leads me to my...

Conclusion: I think coloring your hair is awesome. It's a fun change of seen, if you totally hate it than color it something else. I'm such a believer/user of leave-in conditioners and moisturizer everytime I get hair cuts I also am told my soft and healthy my hair is even WITH all the coloring that goes on and I also say the same thing, "Because I don't blow-dry or treat it like I'm making toast!"


2 comments:

  1. There are specific shampoos to get rid of buildup...I don't remember what they're called though. Wow, I'm a bunch of help.

    ReplyDelete