Sunday, November 20, 2011

Highs and Lows

At present Baby Ben is putting himself to sleep. I’ve had him do this since he was born. Tom’s at an Apple training thing from 6:30pm till…whenever. I’m not asleep though I really should make myself. The last couple weeks have been totally all over the place, I’ve enjoyed sweet high moments and endured some hair-pulling lows, as I’m sure we ALL have, right?

The Good News: Ben has been coming out of colic HAL-O-LUUU-YAH! It started the Tuesday after his blessing on the 8th. I came home from work and he was so calm stayed that way through Saturday it was like my baby woke up and was content and only fussed when he was hungry or tired but stopped the whole “just cause” crying. Then…last Sunday it was a whole different story and it was a BIG lesson learned that “coming down from colic” doesn’t mean completely over for EVER! It took a few days but for the most part he is back to calm(er) baby.

He’s so smiley now and coos especially in the early morning when he’s also the most happy even if I’m not ready to wake up but he’s so cute it’s hard to think about sleeping through these tiny moments and missing it. But I have to admit when he frowns its the MOST CUTE. I know that sounds terrible but gosh it really is so cute! Its hard to get a picture of it cause we all know the cute frown is proceeded by a big cry!

Sleeping: He goes down almost the same time every night 7:30-8:00pm after I give him a really warm bath and wrap him up. He continues to wake up the same times almost on the dot since he was born too: 1:30, 3:30, 5:45, 7:45 and then we are either up or sometimes I can get him to stay somewhat quiet while I sleep another hour or two. When he does wake up for a feeding I grab him or Tom (though I try to let him sleep) and I nurse in bed. I try to put him back into his crib after he eats but it’s hard to stay awake to put him back without it causing me to have a hard time falling back to sleep, you know? Like this past week I ended up not able to fall back asleep from his 3:30 feeding until after 6:30…it SUCKED! -That happened two nights in a row. Needless to say, by the third night I didn’t care enough to put him back in his crib. It’s also amazingly annoying how that happens- your brain, your body, everything is sooo tired so why in the CRAP can’t I pass out upon hitting the pillow again? Strange.

For the most part I have been good at putting him back in his crib more and more. I’m not sure when I should hope to expect Baby Ben to start having fewer interruptions or even dream for the day he’ll start sleeping all the way through the night? I just hope its sooner than later.

HE’S GETTING SO BIG! The last check-up he had was October 31st and he weighed 10 lbs 2 oz and was in the 25% percent tile. Now I think he’s 12 lbs??? Whatever it is its TOO big. With only the exception of colic I wish he could stay small and exactly how he is for much longer, it’s just so sweet having a little bebe.

Music: I always told myself I would be diligent at having classical music playing all the time when I had kids and it’s ONE thing that HAS gone according to plan! I just know that research has shown over and over again the link between classical music listening and math/science skills and comprehension! Now, Tom’s genes are already math and science prone and yet mine are NOT even with the amount of music I studied and listened to BUTTTT I have just always concluded how scary the further lack of skills I’d have if I hadn’t had music be such a big part of my life! Anyway, Ben is so interesting to watch when I have the classical station or cd playing. Though I can’t REALLY know I DO like to think he is taking it all in and dissecting each measure! 

The Bad News: I miss my husband. He works a LOT. This last week he had two 14 hr days in a row. He works every Saturday, and has mandatory update trainings at least 2 Sunday evenings a month. He had 2 days off last month. I honestly think about and mourn for Military/Army/Navy/etc. wives every time he has a marathon work day/week. I feel SO happy and relieved that as much as I gripe and self-pity about missing him he STILL comes home every day, half dead from exhaustion but ALIVE!

 I am also incredibly, ridiculously, and SINCERELY lucky and spoiled. When he comes home there is no Nintendo, Wii, computer gaming, cable or whatever he runs to. Of course my husband needs cave time yet his cave time is a short email-check and done. Instead, like last night he called on his way home to offer to do whatever I asked or needed when he got home, and again, this after a very long week for him!!  

I kinda hope we never get any of those devices! Though there are more days than not I wish we had some basic cable- I love some kind of SOUND going on in the house and I have exhausted our movie collection and possibly the public library’s too! And the time that Dave Ramsey is on is when Ben is sleeping so I have to hear it on my iPod when I work.

DANELLE for sending me bottles! It’s been such a huge help!!! Though I know it is “law” that a place of work provide a “safe place” for a woman to pump milk- that place doesn’t really exist in a sporting goods store. Lol I mean there are manager offices each store has several managers for different departments and they all share the same office so how totally Not cool would that be if I played the “law card” and asked for their “safe place” to pump, pushing out the men/women??? Nah, I’ll stick with a bathroom stall, not so classy and yes I am very careful to not touch ANYTHING but I feel fine.

On a Final Note: HAPPY Thanksgiving to everyone! Gosh I thought the first year together with Tom through the holidays was awesome, but that got shattered by our first married holidays together and now it’s topped with our baby’s first holidays! It really is such a sweet and wonderful time. We are in good health, we have steady income, we live in the most beautiful spot on earth, we live in the most FREE land anywhere, and I am so blessed with the endless support of my husband, my family and the greatest friends a person could ask for! I love you all!


1 comment:

  1. Wow, I love that baby! What a smile! Doesn't that make all of the colic torture worth it?

    ReplyDelete